Monday, January 16, 2012

My husband thinks I'm a freak...


> I watch TV and movies, not for the feeling it gives me, or the punch lines, or the story, necessarily. I watch shows expecting the writing to wow me!
> I have actually said the words, "That alliteration was incredible!" in regards to a line of a show.
> I am constantly looking for parallel structure in shows, especially when a they bring back a line or comment used in a very early episode.
> I comment on characterization, and often wish for additional air time for a character that needs to be developed.
> I audibly fill in lines that they "should've said" and wonder why they chose not to (because if I thought of it, obviously one of the show writers had to have thought it as well).
> I prefer to watch TV episodes in order because the plot line fits better in my head. It's even better if I can do marathon weekends with multiple episodes to remind me of the nuances and intricacies of the plot.
> I notice the smallest details of the set and camera work because I love that someone spent that time to include these perfect little additions.
> I am always watching for an example to use in class, whether it's the alliteration, hook, foreshadowing, etc.



For Christmas, Mark got me the best gift ever~ The West Wing Complete Series DVD box set. Speaking of incredible writing- it's a show that features writers and great writing! He has since been forced willingly watching The West Wing (how's that for alliteration)! 



So last night as we're watching West Wing, the episode where Bartlett announces he has MS and is preparing for the live interview, I noticed probably the smallest detail  I've ever noticed on a show, but it made an incredible difference, at least to me.

Usually when Bartlett is seen in the Oval Office, the scene is shot from a low angle, looking up at the President to give him a taller and larger appearance in such a huge room (since Martin Sheen is so short). But, during this episode, the point of view was shifted dramatically higher so that it made the President look smaller, highlighting the disease he was about to reveal.

         

     




How many of the millions of people who have seen this show noticed that shift? Was it just me? Am I the weirdo who appreciates the characterization that just a shift of a camera can create? Thank you West Wing for wowing me once again.

Like I said, my husband thinks I'm a freak. 

No comments:

Post a Comment